Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sarah Dalty - An Exclusive Interview

I was able to squeeze an interview out of the very private Sarah Daltry. If you have read any of her works, you are probably wondering how she could possibly be “private”! But as explicit and detailed as her books are, she keeps her personal life under wraps.

Q - You never post any personal information other than “I am a writer.” But you write things that are often shocking. So spill. What is one thing your readers would be shocked to know about you?
Sarah - They'd probably be shocked to realize just how unbelievably uninteresting I am! :) Really, my life is so simple. I work, hang out with my husband, watch TV, play with my cats, and write stories about people who have far more fun than I do! When I was younger, I had a bit of a wild side, but now I am just a boring average person. I'm leaving for vacation in a couple of days to tour museums and the highlight of my trip will be the comfy bed and room service. It's really that dull in Sarah's world.

Q - Your writing ranges from a poignant historical romance in “Quiver of a Kiss” to melt-your-kindle-HOT! But you must have a favorite. Where on the heat scale is that?
Sarah - I like things that fall in between. Sex is important to romance, yes, but I prefer a story with characters. I've written straight erotica, but my favorites are the novels (and novella in Quiver of a Kiss's case). I fall in love with characters. In Forget Me Not, Lily has a ton of sex, but the story is not about her having a ton of sex. It's about her figuring out what it means to be on your own and find yourself. And, in the process, have a ton of sex! Even Bitter Fruits, which is paranormal erotic romance, is simply a story of discovery if you take out the vampires and mythology. Nora, Caleb, and Alec have to learn to forgive and move on. And in Helen of Troy's story, I was focused on how she could be herself in a world that refused to let her. So, at the end of all that, I tend to feel like the characters are what makes a story important to me. My novels are generally in the 4 heat range. They are full of explicit sex, but love plays a big role. Because for me, the best sex is about the sex with someone who makes you happy to experiment because you love them.

Q - What are the easiest and hardest things about writing erotica? Any hints for others who are trying to write in this genre?
Sarah - I guess the easiest thing is that it gives you a chance to express things that used to be sort of taboo. Erotica is a popular genre, because it has allowed people to discover some of their own fantasies in a healthy way. Hopefully, it leads to happier people! I think the hardest thing is facing the judgment from people. I don't tell most people that I write, which is kind of sad honestly. I would love to share my news and the things happening with my friends and family, but most of them don't know, because they'd probably be offended. I think that's the advice I would give - be sure you're okay with having your name out there, but yet not having anyone to share your joys and successes with except your fans and a few random people in your life. It's hard, because when things happen personally for me, I want to tell someone (bad or good), but the only place I can go is to my husband or Facebook. And, as a writer, there is this unspoken rule that you can't talk about your ups and downs.

Q - You have been writing for a long time but only recently started sharing your talent with the world. What finally convinced you to publish?
Sarah - Well, a couple of things. I wrote some stories for friends a while back and they encouraged me to do something with it. I also write under my real name in other genres. The last couple of years have been crazy for me personally and professionally (in my other job). I was getting to a point where I felt like my future looked bleak. I felt pretty hopeless, so I started to write even more, because it was an escape. It was then I realized that a lot of what was getting me down was that I had this dream of writing and publishing, but wasn't pursuing it. I took the risk - and I hope it pays off. Now, it's really in the hands of readers, right? :)

Q - What was your favorite book when you were a young child? Do you think it influenced what you write now?
Sarah - I adored the Little House on the Prairie series. I think it would be hard to say that Laura Ingalls-Wilder influenced writing erotica, but in some ways, I think it inspired something. I have always loved characters. I loved English class. I read the classics for fun. I taught high school English for a period of time. All of this maybe doesn't translate into someone who writes smutty romance, but stories are stories. Even in my free time, I still read a ton of books in genres outside of romance and erotica. I think actually my favorite books have presented a bit of a challenge for me as a writer, because I would love to write literary fiction, but it doesn't always work with what I am writing. And, to be honest, I don't think literary fiction has much of a fan base anymore, unfortunately. I seriously doubt Fitzgerald would find much of a market for The Great Gatsby in today's industry. We're all too busy. We want stories that transport us, but we aren't necessarily looking for beautifully crafted prose. There needs to be a balance between a story that we want to read and a nice turn of phrase.

Q - Does you mother know what you write?
Sarah - Nope. She would not handle it well. My mom is very straight-laced. She doesn't even say "crap." She would never be able to read anything I am writing and support me. It's kind of sad, but I have accepted it. She generally doesn't approve of most things I do. :) But she's my mom, so I deal with it.

Q - If you could have lunch with any author, who would it be, and why?
Sarah - Hemingway. Because he would be so much fun to talk to. However, he's dead, so I guess a living author? Hmmm. It's tough because I like so many writers, but I think I would really like to talk to Maureen Johnson. Our writing is clearly nothing alike, but she just seems like so much fun and her books have the right amount of snark and cuteness.  

Thank you, Sarah, for sharing with our readers.

If you want to see what all the excitement is about with Sarah Daltry, check her out on:
Website:http://sarahdaltry.com
Email: sarah.daltry@gmail.com
Like her on Facebook
Follow her on Twitter
Follow her on tumblr
Buy her books on Amazon
Buy her books at Barnes and Noble
Buy her books on iTunes
Follow her on  Goodreads

 


The Quiver of a Kiss
Helen is the bargaining tool of her brothers and her father. She learns of lust but is denied love until she is drawn to one of her suitors, a man named Odysseus. When her father decides, however, that she will marry Menelaus, Helen becomes a pawn for both her new husband and the gods. She manages to survive, however, until a young man from Troy, a city across the sea, ignites in her a passion that will be the destruction of empires.

 
 
More Than A Job
Lily had a crush on her brother's best friend, Derek for years - which led to their steamy night ten months ago in her bedroom. Now, Lily is going off to college and she and Derek are still going strong. However, when school starts, she realizes it's hard to maintain a relationship while also trying to live her own life. She and Derek find themselves falling apart and Lily has no idea where to turn.

Enter Jack. Everything about him is wrong for Lily and she knows it, but she can't stop herself from being attracted to him. When things implode with Derek, it's Jack who is there to pick up the pieces - and show Lily an entirely new set of experiences she didn't know she was missing.

Of course, Jack has his own problems and once Lily gets to know him better, she starts to wonder if she can handle all of Jack. When Derek reappears on the scene, Lily is forced to decide between two guys and herself. Can she find herself without losing the people who matter in the process?


 
 
 
Forget Me Not
Lily had a crush on her brother's best friend, Derek for years - which led to their steamy night ten months ago in her bedroom. Now, Lily is going off to college and she and Derek are still going strong. However, when school starts, she realizes it's hard to maintain a relationship while also trying to live her own life. She and Derek find themselves falling apart and Lily has no idea where to turn.

Enter Jack. Everything about him is wrong for Lily and she knows it, but she can't stop herself from being attracted to him. When things implode with Derek, it's Jack who is there to pick up the pieces - and show Lily an entirely new set of experiences she didn't know she was missing.

Of course, Jack has his own problems and once Lily gets to know him better, she starts to wonder if she can handle all of Jack. When Derek reappears on the scene, Lily is forced to decide between two guys and herself. Can she find herself without losing the people who matter in the process?


You can find these books and more at the links above.
Interview by Kelly.

3 comments:

  1. Some days, I feel a little like Salinger. Lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Three more books to add to my list! LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just the three I've read. Check out the Amazon link for a lot more.

    ReplyDelete