Saturday, December 22, 2012

Day 11 of the 12 Days of Christmas

Sarah M Ross
 
 
 
I started my obsession with reading at an early age, getting in trouble for sneaking BabySitter Club and Nancy Drew books into math class in elementary school. I would read any fiction book I could get my hands on. I knew it was an addiction when instead of grounding me from TV or music, my mom would take away my books as punishment (The Horror!). My love of all things paranormal was inspired by my good friend Laurie, who convinced me that books with vampires, witches, and all things shifter were amazing. After a little reluctance, I gave it a shot with the Sookie Stackhouse books, realized she was right, and the rest was history.
I grew up in Pittsburgh, graduated from The University of Pittsburgh with my degree in English, and taught 8th graders to love reading as much as I do for several years. I will always be a proud member of the Steelers Nation, but I couldn’t take the cold and moved my frozen tush to Florida where I now live with my family and two cats. You will find me now with my trusty Kindle in hand and toes in the sand!
 
 
Sarah's Published Works
 
The Patronus Series
 
Awaken (The Patronus) Book 1
 

 
 
 


Lucy Donovan was supposed to have a weekend of fun in the sun, celebrating her upcoming graduation from college. In a split second, everything changed. A drunk driver ended Lucy’s mortal life.

Lucy opens her eyes to a world she never imagined possible and a new destiny: as a Patronus, a guardian of spirits. Adjusting to her new role and abilities while negotiating this confusing realm will test her limits and push her further than she ever dreamed she would go. From wayward spirits who don’t want her help to soul stealing vampires, and even a stuck-up British royal, Lucy must brave them all to save one spirit she can’t bear to lose.

Further complicating her life is an inexplicable yet growing connection she feels to a member of her team, Max, whose mysterious behavior leaves her both confused and intrigued.

Waking up dead was just the beginning of her problems. Lucy’s death is about to become the greatest adventure of her life.
 
Avenge (The Patronus) Book 2
 
 
 
 
 


Six months ago, Lucy Donovan thought that being killed by a drunk driver was the worst thing that could happen to her.

She was wrong.

Now, the person she loves most has been ripped away from her, soul held hostage, and Lucy has vowed to stop at nothing to get it back.

Part of a new team with enhanced powers, Lucy and her friends begin a quest to avenge the souls that have been stolen. Enemies of the Patronus have united, however, and a spy from within the Patronus realm is feeding the enemy their every move.

When a mission goes horribly wrong, Lucy’s soul becomes compromised. It will take a strength she didn’t know was within her to escape the darkness, return to the light and avenge the soul she loves.

Atone (The Patronus) 2.5
 
 
 
 
 
Before there was Awaken, before there was “Lucy and Max”, there was just Max. And he had some issues.

A lot of issues.

Max Kensington ‘s death haunted him for years. The guilt of his sins tormented him. Unable to let go, he was sure he’d never be able to atone for all of them. But that didn’t stop him from trying.

When his reason for being is suddenly thrust back into his life, he vows to protect her at all costs. He’ll do whatever it takes to make sure history doesn’t repeat itself. And this time, he’ll fight to the bitter end to capture the one thing that has alluded him—happiness.

Please note: This novella contains adult language.

 
Excerpt:
 
My fingers finally got the knob to turn. I opened the door and stepped inside, holding my breath. I pulled the curtain back, but kept my eyes closed for a moment longer. I could hear a hiss of air being pushed and knew she was probably on a ventilator. The knowledge made my heart clench, but hearing the steady beep of her heart monitor—knowing it was strong and constant—helped ease it a little.

I took a deep breath. Bitter iodine and antiseptic swirled in my nose, but underneath it was another scent. Soft lilac emanated around me, and though it was faint, it overtook everything else. It was her. The beautiful, flowery aroma somehow clung to her and caressed my senses, making my heart pound in my chest.

I opened my eyes and took my first look at her. If I had a thousand books filled with a thousand pages each, it would still not be enough to describe how beautiful she was. I knew that she was broken, bloody, and bruised, but I didn’t see any of that. All I saw was perfection. I took a few steps forward and reached my hand forward. My fingertips gently grazed her soft, creamy skin as I brushed her hair out of her face.
As my fingers grazed her skin, a sizzle of electricity passed between us. Her monitors beeped like crazy, letting me know that even in this state, she was just as affected by me as I was by her. I pulled back, double checking that she was alright and I wasn’t inadvertently hurting her. After all, she was in a very precarious state right now and I couldn’t risk anything happening to her. After a few moments, the monitors resumed their steady rhythm and I tried again, this time taking her tiny, delicate fingers in my own.

Her eyes fluttered behind their closed lids. I hoped she was having good dreams. I pulled up a chair and sat down next to her, leaning in to whisper in her ear. “I can’t believe I found you. I didn’t even know I’d lost you, and yet here you are. But I promise you this, I’m never leaving you again. So just rest now; let your body heal. We’ll be together very soon.” I brushed my lips against her temple, inhaling her sweet lilac smell as I did.

A quiet knock at the door drew my eyes away from her, but not my hands. They refused to let her go. “You guys can come in,” I whispered. I wasn’t sure why I was whispering; I knew it wouldn’t wake her, but it just seemed like I should.
James pulled back the curtain, allowing access for Cassie and Adam to slip in around him. James crossed the room, carrying a thick three-ring binder in his hands. That binder held the key to unlocking the mystery of who this woman was—I still didn’t even know her name, but I yearned to know everything about her. What was she like? Where was she from? What happened to her? I wanted to know it all.


Earth Angel Trilogy
 
Echo of an Earth Angel
 
 
 
 
 
18 year old Tessa Copeland barely survived the worst year of her life—in fact, it was a miracle. After making it through the tragedy that killed both of her parents, she’s left to pick up the pieces of her life. Combating the holes in her memory and the concern of her friends was hard enough, but a new talent threatens to destroy everything she’s trying to reclaim. 

David Allegri didn’t mean to ruin Tessa’s life. She was the brightest soul he’d seen in centuries and he couldn’t let her die, so the fallen angel used his abilities to heal her—only he took it too far and changed Tessa forever. Now, he has to figure out a way to explain what’s happening to Tessa and somehow protect both of them from the consequences. 

His choice made them targets for the Hunters, who will use any means necessary to capture their prey. Only a desperate plan can help them escape, and sacrifices will be made. Time is ticking. Will they make it, or will they be lost to the echoes of fate?
 
 
Coming Soon in 2013....
 


Fate of an Earth Angel (the sequel to Echo)
and
Inhale/Exhale
 
(Sarah's keeping the covers and blurbs under lock and key so you'll have to follow her blog to be the first to see them)
or visit
 
 Author Interview
 
What inspired you to write your first book?
 
I’ve always written, and had stories floating in my head. One morning in July 2011, it was just sitting in my head and I knew I had to get it down on paper!

How did you come up with the titles of each book ?
 
I’m terrible at picking titles, but Awaken comes from the song “Awake my Soul” by Mumford and Son and Echo of an Earth Angel comes from the song “Earth Angel”.

What books have most influenced your life most?
 
I would say the Harry Potter series influenced my love of Young Adult literature and the Sookie Stackhouse series influenced my love of paranormal.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
 
That’s a really hard question. Soo many good choices. I would say that my friends Colleen Hoover, Abbi Glines, Liz Reinhardt, Nichole Chase, Tiffany King and Rebecca Donovan do mentor me. They’re amazing authors and awesome friends!

What book are you reading now?
 
I just finished Captive in the Dark by CJ Roberts (AMAZING by the way!) and I was beta reading On Christmas Hill, a super cute short Christmas story by my friend Nichole Chase. Now, I’m going to start Trouble and Treats by Tara Sivec

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
 
I don’t know how new they are, but I find new authors all time from other author friends or who my fans recommend.

What are your current projects?
 
I’m finishing Atone (a novella from Max’s POV), and then working on Fate of the Earth Angel, book 2 in that series.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your books ?
 
I’m a perfectionist, so I probably would. I won’t though. I’m too busy working on my next project.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
 
I would tell them to realize that it takes time, and a ton of patience to be successful. And most important, if you want to be taken seriously as a professional, you need to act professionally. Hire a professional cover artist, editor, and proofreader. Trying to do it all yourself will not result in the best possible product.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
 
Thank you. Thank you to the moon and back. I would not be able to do this without my readers, and I feel soo blessed that they continue to buy my books so I can live my dream of being a full time author.

What would you do in a zombie apocalypse should it occur on Black Friday?
 
I don’t go out on Black Friday, but based on the pictures and videos I’ve seen, Black Friday at Walmart very much resembled a Zombie Apocalypse.

If you could be any christmas character, what would you be and why?
 
Buddy the Elf!

Fav Christmas Movie ?
 
A tie between A Christmas Story and Elf

Fav Christmas CD?
 


Amy Grant- Home for Christmas. I don’t know why, but that’s always been my favorite.

Fav thing to do for the holidays ?
 


Eat, Get presents, Drink hot chocolate, and drive around looking at Christmas lights!!

 
 
 
 
 


 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah,
    love the interview and the except. I can't
    wait to read these books. Congrats on all
    you have accomplished

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview.I want to read Echo of an Earth Angel so bad! I not to fond of Elf but A Christmas Story is an Awesome movie...my fav is The Santa Clause(all 3)

    ReplyDelete